Sunday, September 25, 2011

Are 1.5 megapixel pictures from an iphone better than no pictures at all?

Last weekend I had the pleasure of traveling to Philadelphia to attend my older brother, KRB's, graduation from PA school.  It was a wonderfully relaxing weekend.  I had a brunch with friends(I can't believe that none of us snapped any pictures), went shopping in my old haunts of Narberth, and enjoyed being somewhere that was more warm than Chicago.

When I got to Philly, KRB informed me that the graduation was going to be held in Beth Sholom, a jewish synagogue that is on Old York Road.  We've traveled past the synagogue every time we drove to house.  I always loved gawking at it when we drove past - it is incredibly beautiful - and I was so excited to find out that I would be going inside!
At night the building just glows and it is so beautiful.  I can't believe that I didn't ever look up the synagogue while we were living there, but before going in I did a quick wikipedia reading up on it and was amazed to find that it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  (Now that I live blocks away from another of his masterpieces I pay more attention to him.)

When we got into the building I was in awe.  It feels humongous.  And all of the details are really amazing.

But, lets get back to the graduation.  When we got inside we realized that our cameraman had forgotten extra batteries and the batteries in the camera were dead.  So it was my cell phone to the rescue(which led to the question that is the title of this post)!

Some of the building details and the main speaker.    
 KRB getting hooded on the right.
 Getting his diploma.
 The man of the day!
 A random interior shot!
 The procession left the building and didn't stop until they walked the few blocks back to their campus.  I was hoping for a picture of the whole KDCKB family in front of the building, but I just got the DCK of them!
 Who is graduating?
 After all, what else is the hood really good for?
 The graduate!
 I also got to do a little of this with their family.
 It was really fun to watch C play football.  He was on the field almost the whole game - I was tired for him(he's a linebacker and an offensive lineman).  They won which made it even more fun!  
 I also got to watch C play some baseball.
We also played plenty of games, talked, ate delicious food, and had a great time together.

The weekend was also special for me because Saturday was the groundbreaking ceremony for the Philadelphia temple(lds.org).  I went to the nearest building and watched the ceremony.  I'm so excited for this temple to be built - we're definitely going back for the open house.
Isn't it lovely?

Thank you to The Guy who played Daddy daycare for the weekend so I could go off on a rejuvenating weekend.  And thank you KDCKB family for hosting me so graciously.  It was a wonderful weekend - just what I needed. 



More information on Beth Sholom can be found here(wsj article) and here(wikipedia).  KRB found another interesting article from the National Park Service that details more of the inspiration behind the architecture, but I can't find that same article.

1 comments:

Paul and Angela Baird said...

So happy you could go and support Ken!!! That's wonderful!