Friday, December 17, 2010

One of those Mom days.

I really don't want to write this post, but if I don't and I forget the experience then I'll regret it.

I've been quite grumpy lately.  
I'm not sure if it's due to lack of sleep
(the Little One has stopped sleeping through the night); 
hormone fluctuations in my post-baby body; 
or something else, 
but I've been really, really, really grumpy.

The other day Sweetie did something that made me angry
(it's quite easy these days).  
So of course I got really mad at him and told him to stop doing whatever it was he was doing
(it's quite sad, I can't even remember now what started the whole thing in the first place).  
Then he got a little sassy.   
And I got even more mad so I sent him to his room.  

(Ha!  There!  I gave it to him!)

A few minutes later
(while still being mad of course) 
I went up to his room and lectured him on how he needs to learn verbal self control and blah, blah, blah....  
He started crying.  
I did some sort of apology, crying, mad thing, and a bit more lecturing.  
Then I walked downstairs and kept cooking the cinnamon rolls that I was making.
(See I am a good mom.  Ha!)

(Note to self:  One should not think they are good mom after they have just yelled at their son.  Even if making cinnamon rolls.  Something might come back to bite you.)

A few minutes later Sweetie came into the room and was rummaging in the junk drawer.  
Then he walked into the other room.  
I didn't look at him because, 
"I was busy working on the cinnamon rolls"
(and I was still mad).

A few more minutes passed and Sweetie came back into the kitchen.  
He tapped me on the shoulder.  
When I looked up at him my heart sank.  
He had taped his mouth shut with packing tape.  
I don't remember what he asked me, but I started to cry, laugh(just a teensy bit), and just feel generally awful.  

When will I learn to use that verbal self control on myself?  




What a sweet, good boy I have.  I spend too much time when I am with him focusing on the negative and not telling him how good he is.  I'm so lucky to have him in my life.  Hopefully I can manage to stop getting mad and just have fun with him.

2 comments:

gail said...

oh how I can relate. I do those things all the time. Our children teach us all kind of lessons.

Books = Possibilities said...

I relate! Being a Mom is not an easy job!