Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Grandma Ruby

I don't know how old I was but I remember going to her house(near BYU) to spend some time.  I remember going into her kitchen to get a snack and getting cheese out of the fridge.  We almost threw the cheese away because we thought it was super-duper-moldy.  It ended up just being wrapped in a green washcloth and then put in a plastic bag.

I remember cleaning her house when she moved out.  It was summer and there was no AC.  I thought I was going to die because of the heat.

Not too long after we cleaned her house, she came to live at our house for a few weeks.  (It was part of a rotation of her living with each of her kids, since she couldn't be on her own anymore.)  I don't remember much about her being there except that she sat on the couch and crocheted a lot.  

Then she moved to Las Vegas to live with an Uncle and Aunt.  She lived there until she passed away(ten-plus years).  We went to Las Vegas yearly to see her.  Mostly she just sat in the living room and watched old movies.  I was usually just happy to be somewhere warm(we usually went to visit in the winter) and be with cousins.

Somehow I ended up with a bunch of these hair ties that she crocheted.
Woof-woof loves them and often wants to wear them.

She loves her "Grandma Ruby hair bows."

It makes me happy to see her wear them.

5 comments:

Megan said...

beautiful!

Books = Possibilities said...

That is so sweet. Such a great remembrance of an important woman in your life!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that. My only memory of Grandma Ruby is of her lying in her coffin. I love hearing stories about her though, it makes me think that we would be friends.

Dedee said...

I have some of these, and I'm rather sad that I don't have a girl that wears them. I need to pack them up to hand down to Abbey when she has daughters, I think.

Jenny said...

Linda, this comment represents my sheer fascination and complete longing as I read through probably the last 15 posts you have up.

I love your family. I love your humor. I LOVED the squirrel story. I can't get over the kids' school. And, most profoundly... the babe is BEAUTIFUL. Wow.

I want to come and visit! Oh, and why did we never "Settle" with you? I had no idea you were into that game. We're obsessed.