Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Guidance to peace

It was almost three years ago that The Guy was on the job market. We were loving life in Berkeley, but knew that it was time to get a job and join the "real world." When W gave us an offer we were so excited. We really wanted to move to a city(or at least really close to a city). We got a few other job offers and we just kept praying that we would end up where Heavenly Father needed us. Luckily W and Heavenly Father fell into alignment.

Then we had to look for a place to live. One night I was really stressed out about finding a rental house. We had been looking at one online and they wanted to know immediately if we were going to take it or not. I prayed that night that we would know what to do. Immediately I felt overwhelming peace that everything would work out just fine for us and to stop worrying. I did and went to sleep. The next day another professor in The Guy's department emailed us about renting his home for a year. He was going on sabbatical and offered us his place to live. I knew that his email was an answer to my prayers. His home worked out for us really well that year.

After a few months of living in the area we started house hunting for ourselves. It was a long and fun process. We looked at one house, liked it, made an offer, and didn't get it. We looked at another house, loved it, but realized that it was just not right for us(even if we still sometimes regret not owning that house). When we walked into our current house, I knew. It was the place for us. And everything just fell into place so easily. It was right. We knew it. I know that we were guided to that house.

A few months ago when they split our wards I was sad. But even knowing I would miss my friends and that it might be a tough transition I knew that this was where I was supposed to be. This ward needed our family and this is where Heavenly Father wanted us. And it's just felt so right.

And now as we have this new job offer I know that we'll be guided to know what we are supposed to do. This hasn't been easy on our family. This decision has pushed our marriage in ways that I didn't expect. It's made us really sit down and evaluate ourselves and what we want and need. It's been tough to feel the unease of not knowing where life is going. But ultimately when I kneel down and pray and let the peace of the Lord fill my soul, I know. I know that we'll be guided to be where we are supposed to be because we've been guided so many times before. And that brings more peace which is what I live for.

I'm so grateful for a Heavenly Father and His Son who love me enough to give me peace and the hope of peace during trying times.

4 comments:

Kate said...

oh oh oh... moving?! nothing brings up more waves of uncertainty! thanks for your post of pure faith. reminds me that i need to be more faithful that the lord is guiding us. you are a great example to me linda! and for the record, you never gave me the impression that you didn't like it in philly :) best of luck with everything. can't wait to hear more about it.

ps my word verification is "pukeddle" i don't know why but i wanted to share that.

Dedee said...

I love you. That's all.

Jennette said...

What beautiful sentiments. I wish you the best in finding that peace with this process, whatever the outcome. You and the Guy have always been great examples to me of faith. Of course, if it takes you away from here, I'll miss you mucho!!

Jenny said...

Ok, so I really did love this post. It was full of faith, and was truly inspiring. You are a dynamite couple and will find happiness and satisfying success wherever you go.

That being said, don't forget about my little voodoo doll.