Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Barracuda, and Eels, and a Shark! Oh my!

We had a great vacation to the Virgin Islands this past week. It was warm! What else can I say?

Playing in the sand at Trunk Bay.


My snorkeling maniac. Highlights of his week included a nurse shark, turtles galore, octopi, and loads of fish. He was pretty sad that he didn't see any eel or barracuda.


The kids thought it was hysterical that the lizard held on for so long while we were driving. It was pretty impressive - it only got off the car when The Guy rolled down the window.


It's hard to see, but there is a beautiful rainbow in the picture. This is the first rainbow that either of the kids remember seeing. It was really great, but I don't know how to photograph rainbows. Any tips?


Proof that I was on this vacation and that I was on the beach in a swimming suit. Highlights of my snorkeling include that same nurse shark, a moray eel, octopi, millions of fish, the turtles, walnut jellyfish, and a sting ray. (For all you with little faith in my bravery, the eel and octopi that I saw were seen while I was snorkeling all by myself.)


Woof-woof had a great time playing in the sand, dancing and singing. Highlights of her snorkeling include singing while riding on her Daddies back. It was really fun. She would just float around and hold onto The Guy while we were snorkeling and sing away. But she did see a lot of baby fish. And she also got to see the Sting Ray with me(it was about three feet from shore, so were able to walk up close to it). She unfortunately wasn't all that impressed by the ray(I was - it was awesome).


We had a few days of bad weather. Two days we decided to stay in, but after that The Guy made us go out in the rain to enjoy the beaches.
At least it was warm. :) Highlights of The Guys snorkeling include all those fish, barracuda, the nurse shark, the same eel(we think, though seen at different times), octopi, barjack, sea turtles, and a spider crab.


Playing in the rain. After taking this picture I went and played with them. It was really fun.


The Guy, Sweetie, and Woof-woof on the ferry.


Unfortunately most of the food we ran into on the trip was not so good. This is a picture of us eating the only delicious meal that we bought. And the view was fantastic.


One last hurrah for the evening. The Guy and Sweetie sat out on that floating dock and watched the sunset while Woof-woof and I watched from lounge chairs on the beach.


Myself, Sweetie, and Woof-woof on Drakes Nest. Sir Francis Drake used to look for Pirates from here.


The Guy and I were together on this trip. :) It was really sunny, hence the squinting!


Sweetie and Woof-woof enjoying one last ice cream in the warmth before heading home.


It was a great trip. Thanks as always to The Guy for planning it for us.

P.S. Sum total bug bites:
The Guy - 2 (with only using bug spray once)
Woof-woof - 5(sprayed down almost every time Sweetie was)
Sweetie - approximately 50(used almost as much bug spray as me)
Seamore Tomato - 155 plus or minus 20 due to counting error(used a TON of bug spray)

4 comments:

Katie said...

oooh I am so jealous! Looks like it was a great trip! (minus the bug bites)

Jennette said...

So fun! Someday I should follow your lead....a family vacation that doesn't involve visiting other family..imagine! Congratulations.

Paul and Angela Baird said...

Aghhhhhh, the Caribbean! So beautiful! Are your braces off? Sweeeeeet cream!

Lake Family est. 2006 said...

Oh so much fun! And congrats on your next little girl! So happy for5 you all! Have a beautiful day!