Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Garden

For my birthday The Guy helped me put raised beds in our backyard. We planted many of our favorite things and we've been enjoying watching them grow.


The Swiss Chard, Beets, and some lettuce. We've been enjoying all of these so far and are happy that we'll be enjoying more.


We've already enjoyed one cucumber and can't wait for this one to finish ripening!


We'll be in tomato heaven when all of these plants start producing. We love real tomatoes, nothing can beat them, and we're looking forward to many months of mediterranean pasta and tomatoes on toast. Mmmmmm!


Speaking of tomatoes on toast, I was thinking this morning about the first time I had The Guy eat tomatoes on toast for breakfast(I grew up doing this). He gave me this weird look and I don't think that he thought that he'd like it, but now he loves it as much as me. It's our breakfast of choice for as long as there are ripe tomatoes on the vine.
This sandwich below was devoured by me this morning and made with our favorite farmers market yellow slicing tomatoes.

If you'd like to try tomatoes on toast(which I think you all should) just make up some toast, butter it, put the slices of tomatoes on top, and don't forget the salt and pepper. Delicious! (And don't try to skip an ingredient they all must be present.)

6 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I love love love swiss chard! Tasty! The tomato-on-toast looks great! I'll have to give it a try!

Lake Family est. 2006 said...

sounds and looks wonderful. Your garden looks awesome too.

Karen said...

I'm so envious of your garden. I was just saying tonight over dinner (roasted beets and pasta) how I want to grow my own beets. We're growing tomatoes and herbs on our small townhouse deck and Mike teases me about how much I look after my "babies". I noticed the first tomato to turn from green to yellow-green tonight and I got giddy with excitement!

Dedee said...

I want my tomatoes to even grow over a foot tall. :(

And yes, all the ingredients must be there or it's not true tomatoes on toast.

And really? It should be on homemade bread.

Jennette said...

Those are some fantastic looking garden boxes! I'm very jealous. We have two boxes and while we were on vacation, some hungry critter got through the fencing we'd put up and demolished just about everything. Luckily, there's a few tomatoes left and the basil came out unscathed. Otherwise, I'm coming over to raid your plots!

Books = Possibilities said...

okay, so I finally tried tomato-on-toast!!



LOVE IT!!!