Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 9 - Ghent, Belgium

Ghent started to feel a bit small to us explorers.  
We had basically run out of things to do except go to the big playground we had heard of and then it rained and we didn't know whether we should go or not.  I decided that we should run a few errands and that we would go after.

First we headed out to a belgium lace store to pick up a few things.
The owner of the store gave The Little One this bunny(she said someone had left it there a few months prior).
 We had a little lunch in the courtyard near Saint Michaels' Church.  Then we walked through the church.  
The kids paused in their dancing to let me take a picture.
 They were dancing because there was a live orchestra there practicing for a wedding.
 I never know if I should stop their dancing or not(I usually do).

It was at this point that I decided it was ending up to be a good enough day that we should head off in the car to find the park.  But The Guy and I had a key miscommunication and we were locked out of our room, which is where the car keys and money were.  The kids were troopers.  
Here they are making up games to play on the park bench outside our hotel.
We finally(an hour or so later) met up with The Guy.  We went back to the market where we found our fruit, bought more fruit for dinner, found a place to buy baguettes and cheese, and had a lovely dinner in front of yet another church.

Later that evening as I was getting ready for bed, I glanced out our windows and saw this lovely picture of Saint Michaels' Church and the city.
One thing that is interesting about Saint Michaels' church is that it has no steeple.  Legend has it that the brewers of the city were the ones funding the building.  Apparently the people weren't drinking enough, so the brewers decided that there must be no God and therefore they didn't finish the steeple.

1 comments:

KRB said...

So, is 'Little One' going to become 'Belgium Bunny'?