Friday, June 24, 2011

June 20

We left Munich today and drove to Switzerland.  We hopped on the autobahn and headed towards the border(s) of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  I must admit that we were all a little disappointed that they don't check or stamp passports on those borders anymore.  We were hoping for a few more stamps in our passports.


The drive was a little crazy.  Somehow our five hour drive turned into a drive that was a lot longer and I didn't feel like we were seeing anything lovely(we were stuck on freeways and in tunnels a lot).  But the day ended up turning out okay after we got on a little highway and went up and down a mountain.  Let me show you.
After having spent hours in traffic on freeways, we got on one road, turned a corner, and this was our view:
 We quickly hopped off the road into a little parking area, got out and stretched our legs while enjoying this lovely view.

The lake was so amazing.  I've never seen anything in the mountains that was that turquoise.  
 The Little One enjoyed stretching her legs too.  She's practicing her standing and one of these days she's going to start walking.
 The Guy and the kids walked down a little closer to the lake - they said it was cold.
 Sweetie wanted to go swimming and hiking immediately, but I told him we had to wait.
 We got back in the car and continued on our way.  One last look from the top of the mountain back at the lake.  (I looked later and discovered it was Sarnersee.)  I want to go back.
 Did I mention that we are in Switzerland?  We bought chocolate almost immediately upon entering the country and we're all enjoying it(even if she doesn't look like she is - she'd let out a squawk when her mouth was empty).
 I had to take a picture of the gps when we were at this part.  If you start at the right and imagine yourself at the top of the mountain, that circular path was what we took to get down to the bottom.  There was only one tunnel involved.  Crazy!
 Our destination in Switzerland was Lauterbrunnen.  (Thanks MS for the tip!)  It was so lovely.

This cabin/barn reminds me so much of the one in the Tetons.  It made me wonder if it had been photographed that much as well.
 The kids enjoyed playing in the stream.  (It reminded me of my years of playing in the streams up Big Cottonwood canyon.)
 It's cold!  Unfortunately our playing in the stream was cut short right after this picture.  Sweetie got in a patch of stinging nettle - I wasn't paying attention and honestly not even thinking about stinging nettle(I was sitting near a huge patch...)  So we had to head inside to patch him up.

1 comments:

Dedee said...

The pictures are beautiful.

(I'm insanely jealous right now, just in case you are wondering. So is Abbey who is looking over my shoulder.)