Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dreaded Conversation Number One

A few months ago I did a Family Home Evening where I read some stories from my Grandparents Family History. While telling the story I happened to mention that my grandfather was the 25th child in his family. Sweetie perked up his ears at that and asked how he could have been the 25th child. I quickly changed the conversation and hoped that it was over.

Nope. He's asked about it a few times since.

So tonight I finally tried to tell him about Polygamy. It was pretty hard for me. I don't know if it was a good idea or not, but we did it. And I'm sure that there will be plenty more questions about it soon.

Aaaagh! I'm not sure that I'm ready for these types of conversations to come into my life.

3 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

Ah, you'll do fine. Children like it when their parents are up front and open about things. If it is a secret, then they may think there is something wrong and be ashamed of it, or overly curious and find other ways to get their answers...

I haven't had in depth conversations with my girls about this. But I have mentioned that polygamy is part of the history of our religion. It's not something we can really judge, since it was done with the knowledge and participation of the leaders of the church.

Seamore Tomato said...

I know. It just feels like the beginning of all of the sex conversations too. I think that he's figuring that out a bit too and I'm not ready for those conversations! Aack!

Books = Possibilities said...

It does feel way too soon! I had the opportunity to explain some sensitive stuff when Aa asked about the "Con-dumb" commercials. Oi!