Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Latest Projects

Another Hanna Knock-off
This Hanna dress was the inspiration for the following dress. I love the drop waist. I still feel like I need to do something more to mine, but I'll figure it out one of these days. Maybe.
(It needs some sort of contrasting color, so I'll have to think of something that will work on knit.)


My First Smocked Dress
My friend K and I decided to take a smocking class together in January. We had a great time, but decided not to make the pillow originally planned for the class. We both changed the design a bit and made dresses for our girls. Hers is posted here(if you're interested).


A sneak peak at Woof-woof's Easter dress. Only a few more lines of smocking to go and then to the sewing of it. I'm so excited to get it done.

I've been enjoying the smocking more than I expected. And I like it for the same reason that I like the embroidery - it's something that I can do while watching television or movies. And if you know me, you know that it's hard for me to watch TV without a project. So these are great because I can do it in the evenings without bringing the whole sewing table downstairs(because we all know that if my sewing table were close to the TV I'd sew all the time).

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! The smocking looks professional from my point of view =) You make me want to learn, too.

Dedee said...

See, now I'm confused at to what smocking is. Suddenly I feel sewing illiterate, which we know I'm not.

The dresses are darling! When we see you again, you must have Woof-Woof wear it!

Paul and Angela Baird said...

I haven't done smocking since college, but I love it. The dresses are darling! What fun!!!!!

Human Bean said...

Oh I love it! I must learn the art of smocking sometime. I (like you) must be doing a project at all times to keep my sanity. This looks like a good one. I have always wondered how smocking was done. Good work!

Human Bean said...

Also, I thought maybe a solid color ribbon (maybe in a grass green or aqua-marine) around the seam on the drop waist tied with a simple bow would be cute. Three or four buttons at the neck might be cute as well.