Monday, April 14, 2008

My son, the political enthusiast!

Around President's Day I was talking to Sweetie about how there is a Presidential election going on. We discussed how candidates get into the race and then how we as a people get to vote on them to decide who we want to run our country. I told him that we currently have three people running for President: Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John McCain. After hearing about each person Sweetie decided that he wants Hillary Clinton to win because it would be good to have a female president.

With the impending PA primaries, the signs around town for Obama and Hillary have been popping up everywhere(I haven't seen any McCain signs so he's not getting any airtime in our car lately). Last week on our drive home from preschool I heard Sweetie in the back of the car saying, "Obama" ... pause .... "Hillary" ... pause ... "Hillary" ... pause ... "Obama".... I realised that he was seeing their signs(and knew which was which) and was saying their names as he passed their sign. It was pretty cute and I was pretty impressed.

Now in the last few days he has come up with a new game to play in the car: "Who's going to win? Obama or Hillary." This game is played by him picking a person (usually Hillary - he's still rooting for her), I am the opposite person, and then we count how many signs that person has on our drive to whatever destination we are going to. It's pretty fun to hear him say, "Hillary - 4, Obama - 5" or whatever the score is for that round. Then Sweetie declares the winner of who's going to be president as the one who won the round. If only it were so easy.....

6 comments:

Paul and Angela Baird said...

Too cute. We too have played games with election posters (usually city ones) Garr Judd was a favorite! Aren't kids the best! I heard you bought a house! Yipeeeeeee. What a fun, exciting time. I can't wait to see pics of it, and even better will be seeing it live someday! We'll talk to you later!
Ange

Maile said...

That is so funny! I love his reasoning for picking Hillary...I think that reflects well on you, as the primary woman-of-power in his life. He must think highly enough of you that it's a good bet that a woman would make a great president.

Dedee said...

I love it. If only it were so easy.

Mindi said...

So is Loren happy this AM, since Clinton won Pennsylvania?

KRB said...

Now that the signs are going down - what's the new driving game?

Seamore Tomato said...

I haven't really told Loren that Hillary won PA. I didn't know how to tell him that, but tell him that it all is still up in the air. He might not care though because he's recently got it into his head that he's voting for McCain.

Then when I told him that he really couldn't vote until he was 18....well he's not too happy with me right now. I did tell him that he could come into the voting booth with me in November. I'm not sure it helped.

As for the car games, there are still plenty of signs up around here. Nothing has come down yet. I think that they'll all just stay around until something is decided and then the McCain signs(and other local signs) will come up. I don't see an end to this game for awhile. Adelle has even gotten into the game. She can spot an Obama sign with the best of us.