Sunday, February 5, 2012

One Space

When I was learning how to type I was taught to put two spaces between each sentence. I just learned last week that this method is incorrect and shouldn't be used or taught any more. I've been trying to correct this spacing in everything I type since then and wowsers it's really hard to change a habit that you've had for years! I keep typing two spaces and then using my backspace to fix it. How long do you think it will take me to change this habit?

Why not two spaces?

I could try to explain, but I think that you'll be better off by reading about it. Here's a good article about it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

Interesting huh?

I did go check the MLA handbook (which is what I was taught was the best and last authority on everything having to do with papers) and they say that one space is all there should be. And when I talked to The Guy about it he said that he used to get notes from editors saying that he needed to fix his spacing before they would publish his papers. So he's got a few years of working on the change on me. But he says that occasionally he still slips up too.

It's hard to change, but I'm going to do it.

Anyone with me?

7 comments:

Erin said...

I had no idea! That is how i was taught too. Now I will have to relearn as well :)

Natalie said...

Taylor informed me of this recently too, but I haven't totally changed yet. I do think about it and sometimes do it.

Paul and Angela Baird said...

Great at this on my websites, but not so much in personal stuff!

Human Bean said...

I feel a little odd admitting I have never heard of the two space rule! Then again, I was raised by a pack of news writers who were always very quick to correct any of my writing errors- grammatical, typographical, creative- everything. Also, talking about it with Rex just now he says his boss at Ye Olde Timey Law Firm used to send briefs and memos back to him all the time because he had not followed the two space rule...but that guy is really old and probably still uses a type writer ;-) So, I guess I'm a little out of the loop. I learned something new (not to do) today.

Katie said...

Glen and I had this conversation not too long ago. Either I'm lazy or a rebel because I haven't changed over.

E B said...

I wondered about that! Now I know, thanks.

Megan said...

wow. how interesting. good luck with an engrained habit!