Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 4 - Paris - Happy Fourth of July!

When I asked the kids what they wanted to do while we were in Europe Woof-woof gave me a blank stare.  Sweetie however had a few ideas(thank you books).  In Paris he wanted to go to the Eiffel tower and the catacombs(thank you 39 clues...).

 Before we got too far we had to make a bathroom stop(If you didn't know this before our kids lives on trips revolve around food and going to the bathroom.)  Luckily we found this public toilet kiosk right outside the train station.  It took them a bit of time to figure out how it worked.
 They got it open!
 Our train dropped us off near the Pompidou Center(a modern art museum).  We didn't go inside(we were on a walking mission to the Eiffel tower and we had plans to possibly visit Tuesday), but we enjoyed the crazy fountains and outside exhibits.
 Then we walked over the Seine river to get to Notre Dame.
 On the side of the Notre Dame cathedral there is a lovely play area for children.  The kids always love to have something for them to do and they enjoyed the bouncy toys a lot.

In honor of the Fourth of July I dressed The Little One up in her red, white, and blue outfit.
More playing while The Guy went to find lunch.
 Sweetie was very nice and let The Little One ride with him.
 The Guy came back with a lovely lunch of bread, cheese, and fruit.  We loved basking in the shadows of Notre Dame while eating.
 While the others went to get in line to go through the cathedral, Sweetie and I wandered around the building.  It is so lovely.  I can't believe that things like this can be made without modern tools/etc...
 While standing in line Sweetie saw this flock of birds.  He was amazed at the number in such a small area.  I was amazed that he got this close to birds to take a picture(he has always been afraid of birds).
 Here we are in front.
The inside was lovely.  The blue stained glass windows are exquisite. 

After we finished with the Cathedral we kept walking along the river towards the Eiffel tower.  
 Isn't it a long way between Notre Dame and the Eiffel tower you ask?  Well, yes.  It's a little over four miles.  We couldn't follow in our parents footsteps if we didn't walk a long way!

Looking out across the Esplanade des Invalides.
 Aaaaa!  
A fountain.  Drinks for everyone!
 We made it!
 Luckily there is a playground nearby, so we stopped in before heading up the tower.  
I can't believe that The Little One is old enough to be walking with help.
 We made it to the second floor.  Sweetie thinks we're wimps because we didn't walk up...
 But I tried to make him think I was less wimpy by walking down with him.  So we got some fun pictures on the first floor together. 
 
It was time to head home.  It had been a long day of walking.  But we couldn't leave the city without one parting shot!

0 comments: