Monday, April 5, 2010

DC

For the first half of our Spring Break week, the kids and I headed down to DC for a quick visit. We met HP and the kids for an exciting three days. It was beautiful to be down there during the Cherry Blossom festival(although I didn't get any photos of blossoms) and the spring weather felt wonderful.


Woof-woof checking out the Ruby Slippers. She was so excited to see them. I must admit that to prep her(and Sweetie) for the trip I showed them the movie last week for family movie night.



Woof-woof and Purple Bear by Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gown and jewelry. It was so beautiful and much different than it looked in the photographs and video shots of that evening.



I know this isn't a good photo at all, but it was such a great moment that I want to remember it. The kids and I were walking back to our car and it was really windy. We were pretending to fly while walking. I stopped to have them take this photo on the Mall. Then I told them to walk to the other side of the sidewalk to take a picture of them with the Capitol Building as their backdrop. Sweetie walked across and Woof-woof didn't. Then I heard her start to giggle. She yelled to me, "I can't get to the other side." Then Sweetie and I busted up laughing as we looked at her and realized that she was moving her feet(quickly), but the wind was too strong and she was being pushed back as fast as she was trying to go forward. So I helped her to the other side and took a photo of them as we giggled even more.



Finally! Something for Sweetie to get excited about.

(I must say on this Star Wars note that I never knew one little boy could know so much about something that he hasn't ever seen. But he inhales anything related and can tell you more facts and characters than most adults I know.)


Crazy cousins on top of the Old Post Office building.



When I asked Sweetie what he wanted to do in DC he had two requests: 1 - Go to the top of the Washington Monument; and 2 - Go to the FBI building. We didn't get the first done, but here's proof that we walked by the second. I know in moments like this that he is all boy!

On a side note: While trying one morning to get tickets to the Washington Monument, we saw a motorcade go by. Sweetie thought that this was incredibly cool. All of those police cars, black cars, police motorcycles... he was in Heaven. While he was sad that we didn't get tickets to the monument he was happy to have had the experience of seeing the motorcade. We kept guessing at who we thought was in the cars(and we waved as they went by in case it was someone cool). Sweetie thought that any choice of the big three(President Obama, Vice-President Biden, or Hillary Clinton) would be cool enough for him.


Pink Bear and Sweetie on the Metro. Of course the Metro is always a highlight with the kids. (It made me think of how this is going to be my life here in a few months.)



Sweetie at Mount Vernon checking out the Blacksmiths shop. The blacksmith was making nails.



One pregnant shot for all of you out there. Yes, that is Mount Vernon in the background!



I'm sure that there will be more pictures to come when I get them from HP. And as usual, we enjoyed our time with family.

2 comments:

Katie said...

So fun! We enjoyed our time in D.C. too. I now wish I had talked Glen into seeing the gowns. LOVE the story of Woof-woof fighting the wind.

Dedee said...

You're awfully cute pregnant.

I totally want to see the gowns.